This intensive course analyzes the EU negotiation performance in multilateral settings.
The course aims to familiarize students with core concepts and tools of negotiation analysis and apply them at both the intra-EU and international levels. Issues covered comprise:
- Negotiation structure and sequencing
- International negotiations as ‘two-level games’
- Formal leadership
- The role of the Presidency in negotiations within the EU and/with other International Organizations
- Blavoukos, S. and D. Bourantonis (2011) Chairing Multilateral Negotiations: The Case of the United Nations, London: Routledge.
- Blavoukos, S. and G. Pagoulatos (2008) ‘Negotiating in Stages: National Positions and the Reform of the Stability and Growth Pact’, European Journal of Political Research, vol. 47:2, pp. 247-67.
- Blavoukos, S., D. Bourantonis, and G. Pagoulatos (2007) ‘A President for the European Union: A New Actor in Town?Journal of Common Market Studies, vol. 45: 2, 2007.
- Blavoukos, S., D. Bourantonis, and P. Tsakonas (2006) ‘Parameters of the Chairmanship’s Effectiveness: The Case of the Security Council’, The Hague Journal of Diplomacy, vol.1: 2, pp. 143-170.
- Elgström, O., B. Bjurulf, J. Johansson, and A. Sannestedt (2001) ‘Coalitions in European Union Negotiations’,Scandinavian Political Studies, vol. 24:2, pp. 111-28.
- Kaeding, M. and T. J. Selck (2005) ‘Mapping Out Political Europe: Coalition Patterns in EU Decision-Making’,International Political Science Review, vol. 26:3, pp. 271-90.
- Kremenyuk, V. A. (ed.) (1991) International Negotiation: Analysis, Approaches, Issues (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass).
- Putnam, R. (1988) ‘Diplomacy and Domestic Politics: the Logic of Two-Level Games’, International Organisation, vol.42: 3, pp. 427-460.
- Raiffa, H. (1982) The Art and Science of Negotiation (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press).
- Tallberg, J. (2010) ‘The Power of the Chair. Formal leadership in International Cooperation’, International Studies Quarterly, vol. 54:1.
- Tallberg, J. (2006) Leadership and Negotiations in the European Union (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).
- Zartmann, I. W. and M. R. Berman (1982) The Practical Negotiator (New Haven: Yale University Press).